A Brief History
of the Club
Founded in 1935, the M & M Yacht Club organized the first 100 Miler in 1937. The Marina Management Group which oversees the running on the Menominee Marina was
established in the spring of 1983, and the club through the efforts of a number of hard working members renovated
and moved into clubhouse in the early eighties. Prior to setting up shop in our new place, the MMYC had no permanent
Over the years the Club has had a number of active fleets including Flying Scots, Snipes, Lasers, and 5.5 meter
boats. Currently Ensign Fleet 12, formed in 1993 and a small contingent of Lasers are the active One Design Fleets.
While the numbers are less than in the past PHRF racing continues in the form of the LMPHRF area 1 races as well
as the local Wednesday night PHRF fleet. The club also sponsors
several family type races each season as well as our "Meet the Fleet" event at which we offer one hour
boat rides to the public.
MMYC has hosted a number of important events in the past, starting with the1969 Mallory Cup Men's National Championship,
in which top U.S. sailors used the local 5.5 meter boats. The Flying Scot Regionals were held here in 1971 and
the LMYA Offshore Championships in 1975. The 1995 and 1999 Ensign Regional Championships, as well as the 1998 Ensign
National Championships took place in Menominee drawing 37 boats from around the country. In 2003 the S2 7.9 International
Regatta hosted 31 entries from the U.S. and Canada.
Back to Top